Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Monitoring logs and SIEMs

So there are several SIEM articles that tackle SIEMs vs Log Management, reasons you might want to use one in your environment, and what you might hope to see with one. I’m kinda a simple guy though and while I have recently tried to wrap my head around the nuances between monitoring log management style vs “just” alerting and how you might use a SIEM to both ends I was hit with a rather simplistic realization - the SIEM is already monitoring the logs.

See, I said it was simplistic. Here is what I mean though. I currently have multiple tickets open with ArcSight support and having reviewed multiple sets of manager logs one of the techs was kind enough to open an additional ticket based on some things she saw. I had three takeaways:
1. I should monitor the ArcSight logs. (I’m insightful aren’t I)
2. If I had been monitoring them I would have picked up on the warnings/errors/whatever that was seen
3. My manager logs rolled every 2 hours – used to anyway.

This, to me, makes the manager logs a perfect candidate for insertion into the SIEM. Granted part of the “perfect” is that the logs are being generated by something designed to suck in logs so it doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to have something other than itself actually monitor…itself. The other side of this is while there is value in actually looking at the logs periodically I think this is also a perfect case of being able to just set up alerts.

The real takeaway then is maybe an adjustment to the argument that SIEMs are an “analyst in a box.” While they aren’t really an analyst they are at least some/part/multiple/an FTE who is, or at least capable of, monitoring logs. The next takeaway is according to the 2009 Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report we should be looking at application logs anyway. I mean the OS logs I am pulling in from the server hosting the ESM certainly aren’t telling me anything about these “guardoverflow” events that I should apparently search for in my logs in order to fix some data monitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment