Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The complete guide to SIEM use cases

I started looking for information on the web relative to SIEM use cases over a year ago. Almost a self search for just-in-time learning as it were. Unfortunately the list doesn’t exist. I think I have come to terms with that fact /wipes tear. The reality is everyone’s environment is different. Different tools, different event sources, different size shops, different foci, etc etc.

Don’t get me wrong. There are nuggets “out there” just…spread around. Hopefully I can throw a few things out there as well as this progresses. Always looking for ideas whether complete or still in concept phase. Would also be interested in getting a feel for good classes out there. (hit me at m j runals at gmail dot com if you don’t want to discuss in the comments).

At any rate I spent some time yesterday marrying a couple different items we created within our ArcSight ESM. I was left with two thoughts:
1. I used a good bit of Query Viewers and variables to pull this off (looking forward to global variables with 5.0) and was left with a feeling like I was building an application within an application. The feeling was very strange though I can’t really put my finger on why….could use more sleep I guess.
2. I want a way to combine multiple queries into one trend or chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment