Saturday, August 6, 2011

Where do you fit on the chart?

It’s been too long since I have written. The problem, as it were, is I have had some ideas to write about but they are either incomplete or they are still percolating in mah head. I guess that isn’t too far from being the same thing. At any rate, the other day….actually the other week now that I think about it…I was working on some visualization and metric stuffs and had the thought to create the following tongue in cheek quadrant chart.


The idea behind ‘cognitive aptitude’ is people who have the mix of strategic and tactical vision, ability and willingness to look for and understand the bigger picture; someone who isn’t just a button pusher. Is there a better term? Now we just need to name the cubes or place terms like PEBAC, IDGAF, Curmudgeon, etc.

I’m not sure there is a magic quadrant on this. Hopefully you and the people you work with aren’t in the bottom left. At least from the perspective of being in the layer where ‘the vision’ meets ‘getting it done’ – rubber hitting the road, oars meeting the water; pick your cliché. The truth is though is it takes all types and all types are needed somewhere in the organization. That thought is what I cling to at least when I am softly weeping in my cube after dealing with some of the people I deal with – can I get an Amen?

Now I just need to print this out and pin it up at the entrance to my cube.

No comments:

Post a Comment