Thursday, June 3, 2010

Arcsight '10 User Conference - Presentation Idea

Sadly its not looking good for the presentation idea I submitted for the ArcSight '10 User Conference. Don't get me wrong - I know I am a little fish in a big pond but I really think there is some value. How much value there is relative to other items on the plate is another topic and one ultimately they will decide.

What I had hoped to talk about was the framework/system I designed to let anomalous activity "bubble up" to the surface without elaborate and extensive use cases. Anomalous activity and systems almost in a sense will triage themselves. While many large, 24x7 SOC operations probably have people watching events scroll by and react in near real time there are many SMB types out there that simply can't sustain that type of op / op tempo. Of the few companies and individuals I have interacted with who also use ArcSight or another SIEM/LM tend to fall into the category where if they don't have a 24x7 shop they spit out daily reports that are reviewed in the morning w/o really leveraging all that their SIEM can provide. There aren't a whole lot who have comfortably found the middle ground. Granted my data set for that observation is fairly small.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a silver bullet or an especially magical use of the product. It does however provide an extensible framework that will alert users and then provides quick access to pertinent live and historically siloed data when they open the ESM console without having to rout around.

Of course one of my hidden agendas was for other experts to tell me how much better their systems are. That would give me additional insight and help me add to and refine my own. I also hoped it would spark discussion along the lines of best SIEM/ArcSight use for SMB types.

Update: I gave up hope too soon. ArcSight has accepted the presentation idea and asked me to run one of the breakout sessions. Am excited!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Mark - well deserved! Looking forward to seeing you at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trisha. I hope it goes well and sparks additional conversations.

    ReplyDelete