Thursday, April 22, 2010

The maturity of your ops

I stumbled across Anton Chuvakin’s blog some time ago and have been reading it since. Back in early February he posted a maturity scale that at the time I sort of dismissed. One of the commenters posted a link to a similar, though more verbose, article they had written back in 2008.

Anton Chuvaki’s: here
Raffael Marty’s: here

(seriously…read them!)

What I had missed in the simplicity of Anton’s graph was all the soft processes, tuning, and trial and error behind each of the steps. I liken it to a 10 speed bike. You shift up too many gears and if you aren’t already going fast enough you bog down. Of course the opposite could also happen where you shift down too many gears and while you are peddling your heart out you really aren’t moving forward (the whole activity vs accomplishment issue). A lot of that is perspective and proximity to the tool at hand I suppose.

I started to write a couple other things but maybe they will show up in future posts. At any rate, the purpose of this post was really just to point people to those other two articles lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment